Author Topic: Questions about 2 of Universal AV's engines  (Read 11167 times)

Offline bellgamin

• Kudos +1/-0
Questions about 2 of Universal AV's engines
« on: October 26, 2021, 04:54:17 AM »
I am involved in a discussion of SecureAPlus (SA+) at Wilders Security Forum, in THIS forum thread.

One poster is testing SA+ Pro, & reported two false positives (FPs) in THIS post. One of the FPs was detected by Universal AV's Avira engine. The second FP was detected by UAV's AVG engine. However, when those files were uploaded to Virus Total (which includes the Avira & AVG engines) they were reported as clean.

I find it mystifying that UAV's Avira & AVG engines reported FPs whereas those same engines on Virus Total (VT) did not. Perhaps VT uses different engine versions than those used by UAV or....... what??

REQUEST: Please evaluate & comment on this possible discrepency, either here or in the Wilders forum (I believe Hendys is a member of Wilders).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:19:14 AM by bellgamin »

Offline sepik

• Kudos +0/-0
Re: Questions about 2 of Universal AV's engines
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 01:33:50 AM »
I also want to know how UAV actually works. It does not seem to use VT API to check file(s) if the file is malicious or not?
Of course it cannot use, something like Avira Cloud (Like F-Secure do), because you need to pay for it.

If SAP uses its own cloud, how old are UAV engines databases?

Otherwise i do like SAP a lot. Its powerful and light on resources.

Offline Clem

• SecureAPlus Helpdesk Engineer
  • Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 02:57:08 PM »
After speaking to Hendy and the team, the reason could be that VT engines may not be using the same engine as what is used in SecureAPlus. Also, the AV engine VMs does get the latest signature database, but the scanning of the files will always be lagging behind as it takes time to go through all our files.

I also want to know how UAV actually works. It does not seem to use VT API to check file(s) if the file is malicious or not?
Of course it cannot use, something like Avira Cloud (Like F-Secure do), because you need to pay for it.

If SAP uses its own cloud, how old are UAV engines databases?

Otherwise i do like SAP a lot. Its powerful and light on resources.
I am involved in a discussion of SecureAPlus (SA+) at Wilders Security Forum, in THIS forum thread.

One poster is testing SA+ Pro, & reported two false positives (FPs) in THIS post. One of the FPs was detected by Universal AV's Avira engine. The second FP was detected by UAV's AVG engine. However, when those files were uploaded to Virus Total (which includes the Avira & AVG engines) they were reported as clean.

I find it mystifying that UAV's Avira & AVG engines reported FPs whereas those same engines on Virus Total (VT) did not. Perhaps VT uses different engine versions than those used by UAV or....... what??

REQUEST: Please evaluate & comment on this possible discrepency, either here or in the Wilders forum (I believe Hendys is a member of Wilders).

Offline bellgamin

• Kudos +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 05:57:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Clem. Based on your reply, I have commented further on this issue at the Wilder's forum. My comments at Wilders are over HERE.

If I mis-interpreted your reply or you wish to add anything, PLEASE post your comments here OR at Wilders. (It's easy to join Wilders. Hendy is a member there, I think).

Aloha from Hawaii,
bellgamin

Offline charles trevino

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 04:47:03 PM »
Scanning files will always be behind schedule because going through all the files will take a long time. In the meantime, you can refer to some other information.