Author Topic: False Positives  (Read 14886 times)

Offline ronald739

• Kudos +0/-0
False Positives
« on: August 22, 2014, 04:08:15 AM »
Hi sinlam,

A few more FP's.

The top 4 where reported in the beta forum, but the bottom 3 are new.

Any chance of being able to maximize the detection window anytime soon ?

Offline sinlam

• Kudos +2/-0
    • secureaplus.secureage.com
Re: False Positives
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 05:08:06 AM »
Hi sinlam,

A few more FP's.

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for reporting and we will look into this. No worries, minimizing false positive is our on-going effort.

It is very common to get false positive in all the antivirus software and as far as heuristic is concerned. It has always been a continuous effort by all the antivirus vendors to reduce the FPs. Each antivirus software has its own unique strength. Certain new malware can be detected by some antivirus but missed by other antivirus. This depends on how soon they have detected the new virus strain and how soon they create the virus signature for it.

This is one of the reasons we have come up with the concept of Universal AV. Instead of relying on the scanning result of just one single antivirus, Universal AV gives users a consolidated scanning results of 12 antivirus engines. If the file is detected by only one antivirus engine as infected, there is a high chance that it is a false positive. But then some users may be concerned about what if this is a fresh, new malware that has yet been included in the virus signature of some of the antivirus software. That is when SecureAPlus application whitelisting protection will kick in. It complements Universal AV by catching those new malware (as long as they are not trusted) that cannot be detected by existing antivirus.

Offline ronald739

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
Hi sinlam,

A few more FP's.

Sorry for my late reply.

Thanks for reporting and we will look into this. No worries, minimizing false positive is our on-going effort.

It is very common to get false positive in all the antivirus software and as far as heuristic is concerned. It has always been a continuous effort by all the antivirus vendors to reduce the FPs. Each antivirus software has its own unique strength. Certain new malware can be detected by some antivirus but missed by other antivirus. This depends on how soon they have detected the new virus strain and how soon they create the virus signature for it.

This is one of the reasons we have come up with the concept of Universal AV. Instead of relying on the scanning result of just one single antivirus, Universal AV gives users a consolidated scanning results of 12 antivirus engines. If the file is detected by only one antivirus engine as infected, there is a high chance that it is a false positive. But then some users may be concerned about what if this is a fresh, new malware that has yet been included in the virus signature of some of the antivirus software. That is when SecureAPlus application whitelisting protection will kick in. It complements Universal AV by catching those new malware (as long as they are not trusted) that cannot be detected by existing antivirus.

Thanks for the explanation and i understand this. I probably did not explain myself correctly with my question.

What i was trying to say was will SAP's threat detection window be able to open full screen anytime soon ? Sorry for the confusion.

Regards.

Offline sinlam

• Kudos +2/-0
    • secureaplus.secureage.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »
Sorry ronald739, may not be soon. We will start working on it perhaps after we have completed the commercial project in Oct.