Author Topic: Noticeable system performance impact (BETA 4.1.5)  (Read 9860 times)

Offline Matt g

• Kudos +0/-0
Noticeable system performance impact (BETA 4.1.5)
« on: February 25, 2016, 03:48:03 AM »
I installed SecureAPlus BETA 4.1.5 on two systems. Windows 10 64x. I notice a larger than normal impact on performance (opening menus, programs, browsing the web) compared to other lightweight AVs on the market. I love the approach that you have with white-listing (giving an automatic view of virustotal results in a nice clean popup) and am wanted to purchase the premium version soon, but am concerned about the impact. The initial scan is finish, all settings are still default. Is this normal or is this an issue being looked into during BETA?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Matt g

• Kudos +0/-0
Re: Noticeable system performance impact (BETA 4.1.5)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 05:42:43 AM »
Update: I can replicate (or fix) the performance problem by disabling "Real time protection". If I disable it, the computer becomes snappy. If I re-enable it, it becomes ~30% slower.

Update2: I installed version 3.5.2 on another PC and the performance issues still exist quite noticeably with "Real Time Scanning" Enabled. Mainly opening menus and programs. Performing basic Windows tasks.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:21:40 AM by Matt g »

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
Probably this is something to do with either Universal AV scanning from our server or the offline AV. May be you can try to do the following. Instead of disabling the real-time scanning you can try to disable Universal AV to check whether this is the source of the issue. When you disable Universal AV, it will use only offline AV to perform real-time scanning.
After that you can try to enable Unviersal AV, but disable the offline AV. If disabling offline AV helps, it means that the offline AV is the caused of the slowness.
Let us know the result of your test, so we can focus on the part that we need to improve.

Thank you and best regards,
Hendy

Offline Matt g

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 10:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I disabled Universal AV, then tried test. Still slow. I disabled Offline AV, tried test. Still slow.

I enabled Offline and Universal, then disabled Real time scanning...it was snappy. I even tried to disable all but 2 AV engines (not sure if this would help or not), still slow.

All I have to test this on is 2 clean copies of Windows 10. Both i7 systems. Not sure if this is related to Windows 10 and the software since I don't have a Windows 7, 8.1 system to test this on.

I am opening chrome as a reference test for performance. On both systems, with Real time scanning enabled, chrome opens fully in 6 secs. Disabled, it opens in 3 secs. This is repeatable many times.

Update: I tried something else. I tested opening speed on a PDF doc with Real Time Scanning enabled WHILE adding an exclusion for the PDF. Nothing changed. Maybe the exclusions are for on demand scans only.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:30:30 AM by Matt g »

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
Thank you for your valuable information. So, it has to be something to do with the real-time scanning itself, regardless of the engine. We will take a look into it to see how we can improve this.

Offline Matt g

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
Just wanted to give you an update. 4.2.3 fixed my slow app opening speed.

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:31:13 AM »
Thank you very much for the update. We are glad to know that your slow app opening issue is fixed.