Author Topic: Trying 3.4.1 - not working  (Read 9978 times)

Offline paulderdash

• Kudos +0/-0
Trying 3.4.1 - not working
« on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:34 PM »
Hi

I am trying 3.4.1 without local AV on a Win 7 Pro 64-bit machine but without success.
First full scan completes, though 'Last complete scan' says never on control panel (maybe that means for local AV?).
If I click on 'Complete Scan' block, system is unresponsive.
Similarly, if I right-click SecureAPlus icon on taskbar. Also when I click SAP in start menu.
I can open Application Whitelist from start menu and view log which shows first full scan completed.
System becomes unresponsive and I have to hard reboot.
On reboot Windows becomes unresponsive and boot won't complete.
There seems to be some 'deadly embrace' going on. I am also running Webroot SecureAnywhere, Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, VoodooShield and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. These all work fine together without SAP. Are any of these known to be incompatible with SAP?
I had excluded SAP in WSA and MBAM. Removing VoodooShield also makes no difference.
I have had to remove SAP by restoring pre-install image.
I would like to get SAP to work on my setup (preferably without having to disble or remove WSA, EIS or MBAE)! Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 11:44:57 PM by Paul Heering »

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
Re: Trying 3.4.1 - not working
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 09:09:24 AM »
Probably you can try to do it in different sequence. How about if you install SAP first before Webroot?

Offline paulderdash

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:36:23 PM »
Will give that a shot, may take some time as I will need to rerun initial scan. Will let you know the outcome ...

Offline paulderdash

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 07:30:02 PM »
hendy - looks like you may have nailed it.
Uninstalled WSA, rebooted, installed SAP, full UV scan, then installed WSA again.
Not sure there are NO issues, will keep an eye on it.
This was my second attempt at installing SAP, so can at least play with it now.
Hope this helps any others who may have WSA and experience issues.
Expect more questions from me going forward!  :)

Offline paulderdash

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Still having some issues:
1. Repeatedly, but not consistently, when opening 'Application Whitelisting' from start menu panel will freeze, SAP and system freezes. Need to reboot.
2. Clicked on About at bottom of SAP control panel; panel disappeared. Was unable to open SAP control panel again from start menu or task bar icon (no right click context menu). Had to reboot.
Will continue with SAP a bit longer to decide if it will work for me.
Question:
Under Scan Settings, if I were to disable Universal AV or just real-time scanning, does this affect SAP's whitelisting functionality? Or does UAV (and real-time scanning?) need to be enabled for this.
I am more interested in the whitelisting component than the AV component ...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 10:54:29 PM by paulderdash »

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »
The other thing that you may check is the sandbox settings in WSA. As you mentioned earlier, you have excluded SecureAPlus, but since there are several files, here are the WSA settings for reference:

You may disable Universal AV or real-time scanning, it will not effect the Application Whitelisting functionality.