Author Topic: Windows 10 Defender Turned Off by SecureAPlus  (Read 28372 times)

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
Windows 10 Defender Turned Off by SecureAPlus
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:07 PM »
Hello-----I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday after updating SecureAPlus to version 3.4.0.  The upgrade went well, but now under Windows 10, Microsoft Defender is automatically turned off and I can't seem to turn it back on again, unless I remove SecureAPlus or disable it's services.

Is there any solution to this?  I'd like to continue to use SecureAPlus alongside Microsoft Defender, as I did under Windows 8.1.

Thanks!

Offline gaia

• Kudos +0/-0
Re: Windows 10 Defender Turned Off by SecureAPlus
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
I, on the other hand, want Defender off. I was able to turn off it by following these instructions. Mind you check if this is the method SecureAplus used to turn it off, and you might just be able to turn it back on by reversing the switch indicated.

Pleas inform if that's how Defender got turned off.

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
Thanks for these instructions.  I completed Option 1, but now I get the error "Windows Defender.  The service couldn't be started.  The Group or Resource is not in the correct state to perform the corrected operation."

Again, if I disable the SecureAPlus services, Windows Defender operates normally.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks, again!

Offline gaia

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:49:52 AM »
Thanks for these instructions.  I completed Option 1, but now I get the error "Windows Defender.  The service couldn't be started.  The Group or Resource is not in the correct state to perform the corrected operation."

Again, if I disable the SecureAPlus services, Windows Defender operates normally.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks, again!

I am gonna guess it won't help, but just to be sure restart the computer after changing the group policy. if it doesn't work, revert to what it was before the switch and wait for SAP instructions.

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:45:34 AM »
Yep, I did all that, and I'm awaiting further responses from SAP.

Thanks again!

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:54:09 AM »
If you want to use Windows Defender, you should install SecureAPlus without offline Antivirus.
The reason is that Windows Defender will automatically turn itself off when it detect there is any other Antivirus software installed.
If you have installed full version of SecureAPlus (with offline AV), you can simply disable the offline antivirus, and Windows Defender will immediately take over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:56:18 AM by hendy »

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:20:47 PM »
Thanks, Hendy, but that doesn't work for me.  I've installed SAP under Windows 10 with the "Offline AV" option unchecked, and Windows Defender is still off.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
Since you were upgrading, there is a possibility that Windows Defender is not whitelisted.
Right click on "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender" folder from Windows Explorer, and set the trust level to Trusted Application. After that reboot, and check again.

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »
I just realized that there is a modification in the Antivirus policy in Windows 10. Now Windows Defender will not take over the role of Antivirus when there is other software that is registered as "Spyware and unwanted software protection". We will see on what can we do on our side to allow Windows Defender to run along SecureAPlus.

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »
Okay, Hendy, thanks for the response. 

Besides looking at the Antivirus Policy, you might want the developers to address the recognition of SecureAPlus as an antivirus app by Windows 10.  When I install SAP, not only is Windows Defender turned off, but Windows 10 thinks that there is no antivirus protection installed, so it provides constant "nags" that the antivirus protection is off and there is no antivirus protection installed.

By the way, placing the Windows Defender folder in the SAP whitelist made no difference.

Thanks, again.

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »
I think it would be better if I explain about the reason behind it.

From our side, the Antivirus is associated with the offline antivirus. When you disable the offline antivirus, then it will unregister itself from antivirus protection. This unregistration from antivirus is mandatory, to let Windows Defender to take over the role of the offline antivirus. This works until Windows 8.1.

Anyway, when SecureAPlus offline Antivirus is disabled, actually it can't guarantee to perform the role of traditional antivirus any more, since it will rely heavily on internet access, that's why it is unregistered from antivirus section. This unregistration is also to allow other third party offline antivirus engine to take over the role. However, when the offline antivirus is disabled, SecureAPlus application whitelisting and Universal AV still functioning as protection for spyware and unwanted application. 

Actually the problem that we are facing now is the same as all other third party antivirus compnaies. When you install any third party antivirus, Windows Defender will switch off by itself.

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »
Okay, Hendy, thanks very much for that explanation. 

It appears at the moment that if I want to continue to use SecureAPlus with Windows 10, I'll need to check the offline AV option, which will make SecureAPlus completely replace Windows Defender.

However, your developers are looking into the possibility of making SAP work alongside Windows Defender under Windows 10-----correct?

Thanks, again, Hendy!

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:13 AM »
Hi Robhouston,

Thank you very much for being patience to stay with us while we are looking for the solution.
We have discovered a way to allow Windows Defender to work along with SecureAPlus.
To do this, you need to change the Local Group Policy. Set "Turn off Windows Defender" to Disabled.

You can follow the following tutorial for the detail steps:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

Thanks and regards,
Hendy Chandra

Offline robhouston

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:56 AM »
Indeed, Hendy, this works--------thanks!  Gaia had actually suggested the same fix a few days ago, and it didn't work when I tried it then, but I think I must not have rebooted after changing the Group Policy.  Once I made the change and rebooted, it appears that SecureAPlus and Windows Defender are happily co-existing under Windows 10.

Thanks, again!

Offline Dukesteelman

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 09:12:24 AM »
What are Windows 10 Home users to do? We don't have access to gpedit.msc.
David