Author Topic: 3.4.0 update is broken (sascan.sys can't be opened for writing)  (Read 9473 times)

Offline gaia

• Kudos +0/-0
Got an update alert, the installer downloads but stops at this error.

So I stopped all services that are stoppable and it still didnt work.

Set to "trust all" and it still didn't work.

Ended all processes related to the app, except for SecureAPlus Application Whitelisting Service, which can't be terminated (unsurprisingly, since the service can't be stopped). still didn't work.

Win 10 (10240/RTM) x64. Running MBAM, MBAE and Bitdefender free (both types of protection stopped). All of those are up to date. The whole machine is up to date.

Please advise.

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
Re: 3.4.0 update is broken (sascan.sys can't be opened for writing)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 09:15:13 AM »
Try to disable the offline av and real-time scanning.

Click on apply, restart, and install the new version.

If this does not work, then you can try to download and install the offline version without offline AV.
After install (without offline AV) and reboot, install the full version again.

On our side, we will modify the installer code to prevent this to happen on the next release.

Offline gaia

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:35:02 AM »
I restarted, turned off Universal AV and real time scanning (I did it before getting your reply & I don't have offline AV) and it worked this time. Thank you.

Would you mind answering this? Real time scanning compares signatures of all apps being run and uploads the ones for which the cloud doesn't recognize, right? If yes, then does Universal AV do? Furthermore, Offlline AV would scan every almost file, not just apps, and it doesn't depend on an internet connection.

Do I have these more or less right?

Thanks again

Offline hendy

• SecureAPlus Developer
  • Kudos +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 02:25:29 PM »
Glad to know that it works  :)

For real-time scanning by Universal AV, it does not immediately upload the sample file when it doesn't recognize.
Universal AV will periodically upload the new signatures and the sample files. If there is any virus detected, it will notify the user.

Other than the usage for no internet connection, offline AV may be also useful to scan the file which the signature is not recognized by Universal AV.
Currently offline AV scan apps and some well known document files. You can always add the file type that you want the Offline AV to scan in the Settings->Scan Settings->Included File Types.

Best regards,
Hendy Chandra

Offline gaia

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:39 PM »
Thank you Hendy, but I still don't get the diff between Universal AV and real time scanning.