Author Topic: Some misconception  (Read 15100 times)

Offline sinlam

• Kudos +2/-0
    • secureaplus.secureage.com
Some misconception
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:57:58 AM »
Hi Users,

There is this recent post at Malwaretips, http://malwaretips.com/threads/secureaplus-freemium-quick-test.30791/ and a Youtube Video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKMF4TycDk that made us realize the importance of making the users truly understand and know how to use SecureAPlus.

I have posted an explanation in the same topic at Malwaretips but to avoid any misconception, it is good to post it here too.

Based on this video, we would like to address certain portions of the video to help users to understand SecureAPlus better.

1. It seems like the unzip software, HaoZip is set as a trusted installer.

By trusting it as an installer, whatever executables it created will be trusted automatically too. As a result, the files don't get real-time scanning prompt because they are trusted. Although it is not covered by real-time scanning, they are detected by Universal AV as infected as seen in your video. This is one of the benefits of Universal AV. If a user has accidentally trusted a file that is infected with virus/malware, it will be detected by Universal AV.

2. In the video, it also showed that all the malware detected by Universal AV are deleted. Then the "trusted" malware is run randomly. Why did I call it "trusted" malware because it is extracted using a trusted installer, Haozip.

3. The video also showed an attempt to run BNcgb.exe but then its process was terminated by "force" and it crashed. This is the part that we are concerned. It is not clear whether the crash comes from SecureAPlus or perhaps the malware have caused the crash. We truly hope that the video creator, Malware Test can send the dump file to secureaplus@secureage.com for further investigation. If the crash is caused by SecureAPlus, we will definitely fix it.

To prevent this similar incident from happening, we strongly advise users to add any high risk program to the "Restricted Application" list. Applications that are added to this list are allowed to run on the computer but whatever programs or executables that it created or brought in will not be automatically trusted and allowed to run on the computer as there is a chance that it may bring in harmful programs. For eg if Haozip is added to the list of restricted applications, those files that it unzipped will not be automatically trusted and allowed to run.

After adding HaoZip to "Restricted Applications", you have to manually set it to "Trusted Applications" by pointing at the HaoZip exe file, do a right mouse click, click on "Trust Level" and then click on "Trusted Application".

But even if you have trusted the application accidentally, as I had mentioned earlier, you don't have to worry as it will be detected by Universal AV. If you have anymore concerns or questions, please feel free to raise them and we will try our very best to help you as much as possible.

If you have any concern or question about this video, please feel free to raise it up :)

Offline Yuki

• Kudos +0/-0
Re: Some misconception
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 10:47:08 AM »
This is not your fault.
This tester also made irrelevant 'test video' about MBAE, which already disputed in Wilders.
I hope those youtube testers do test ONLY AFTER they use & understand the product they're testing, though I have some more thing to say for them (off topic).
You can't & need not to be responsible to all those irrelevant reviews, I think.
It's not real security to protect only from malware.

Offline sinlam

• Kudos +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:45:21 AM »
This tester also made irrelevant 'test video' about MBAE, which already disputed in Wilders.

Oh really? Thanks for letting me know :)

I hope those youtube testers do test ONLY AFTER they use & understand the product they're testing, though I have some more thing to say for them (off topic).
You can't & need not to be responsible to all those irrelevant reviews, I think.

Thanks for speaking up for us and for your concern ;) No worries, we know it is not our fault. We actually view this video from a more positive perspective. This video is a good reminder to us that besides building a good and robust protection technology, it is equally important to make users truly understand and appreciate the protection that they are getting. We tend to be too technology focus at the expense of the usability aspect. We are striving hard to overcome this and we really appreciate any comment or suggestion, even if it is extremely negative, we will take it as comments like this really help us in enhancing SecureAPlus further at times :)

Offline Yuki

• Kudos +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 03:18:15 PM »
I'm impressed by your word, and even be ashamed of my narrow view. :-[
You're completely right, and I'm happy with having such a provider for my everyday-use-software. :)
It's not real security to protect only from malware.

Offline sinlam

• Kudos +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:56:15 AM »
I'm impressed by your word, and even be ashamed of my narrow view. :-[
You're completely right, and I'm happy with having such a provider for my everyday-use-software. :)

Thank you :) You don't have to be ashamed. Everyday is a great learning journey to everyone of us ;)